Monday, May 17, 2010

.O. Bathroom Project

This is a bathroom in my parents home, it is really quite boring. White walls, oak cabinets and plain old out dated fixtures. This room has no natural light, and a old light fixture (which I plan to change out in the future). I wanted to bring color and a calm feeling into this room. Since this room is used daily it still need to be very functional.

BEFORE
This is a drawing of the room as it is. Pretty boring.
This is the inspiration I had, to add Stripes to the walls. I originally thought of doing a Yellow/cream color but then decide to do Cliveden Sandstone, Which is a light tan color. I also, used a darker Mahogany stain on the cabinets, but sanded some areas to give it a warn look.
I have seen this technique before in magazines and on design shows, so I really wanted to try it out. This is what you do, buy 2 gallons of the same color but one in a Satin finish and one in Semi-gloss finish. The differnces in the finish will give the walls a very subtle texture. Here is the room after we had marked all our lines with the tape. (this room was making me way dizzy when it was like this.)
AFTER




I think this project turned out really good. I learned a few tricks to the stripe technique. I love the peaceful calming feel in this bathroom. I'm still looking for a few additional decorative pieces, but those will come in time.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I love it! I had no idea you were busy redecorating, it looks really good. You'll have to come help us when we have a house (probably about 10 years :)

Denice said...

I love it Lisa!! Can't wait to see it in person. The personal touches on the shelves really add to the feel too! I am really proud of you!!!

Britney said...

Fabulous Lisa! Your hired. When can we start?!?! :)

Jenny said...

your amazing! jenny-amber's mom