Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bathroom Sign

Last summer, I painted and redecorated my bathroom. For a really long time I have been looking for some wall art for it to finish the look. I just hadn't found the right thing. So my sister was telling me about this metal sign she found at Hobby Lobby. She wanted me to make her some vinyl lettering to go on hers. And I thought that it would work perfect in my bathroom too. I have a saying that I have wanted to make for some time and this was perfect.

This is the original sign bought for $15 (after 50% off) at Hobby Lobby. I loved the details along the edges. After I got it home, I realized it is the exact same color as the walls. Since that wouldn't work I decided to paint it green, since I have other elements of green in the room.

After I primed it with Krylon Primer, I used Ivy Leaf Kylon spray paint that I already had on hand.

I like the green but thought it was too bright for the room, and I love the detail, yet it seemed to disappear along the edges. So I had to glaze it - which honestly is my favorite thing.


I covered it very heavily using a brush to make sure I got it in all the little nooks and crannies.

Then using a damp cloth, I wiped off all the Glaze. Being careful not to wipe too much back off. I was very pleased with how it really made it stand out.

I love the saying "In a world where you can be anything... BE YOURSELF!" I don't know who said it but I really love it and have wanted to make a sign for a while. I cut my vinyl letters out with my new Silhouette SD machine. I love this machine! Unlike it's competitors, you use your computer to design what ever you want and are not limited to buying the cartridges. It is awesome. And my Hubby has actually used it even more then me!

Here is the finished project


Awesome, Huh! I am so excited to have it done, it turned out just how I wanted. Total cost was just $15 for the sign, everything else I had here on hand. I love quick and thrifty projects like this. Remember, if you find something you like at the store but it's not the right color you can change it up for pretty inexpensive and make it a custom item for your home.

Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! You are doing amazing things! (You should start selling vinyl. I have a few sayings I would love to buy;))